Bike registration is easy and mandatory!
All bicycles on campus must be registered in the University’s new National Bicycle Registration system. Your bicycle is not protected until you attach the registration tag (529 Shield) to your bike. This system will be made available to public on July 20, 2020. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions regarding bicycle registration.
According to the University Bicycle Ordinance, bicycle registration is mandatory for all bicycles parked or operated on campus and owned by students, staff, faculty, University departments, community members and bike share vendors. Each bicycle owner must register his/her bicycle(s) and obtain a Registration Tag (529 Shield) for the registered bicycle from one of the Shield pick-up locations (listed at the bottom of this page). If there is a change in ownership, the new owner must register the bicycle again.
There is a one-time $10 registration fee per bicycle. Users must pay this registration fee using the form below before proceeding to the University’s Project 529 system registration page. The Registration Fee funds will help sustain the community-wide Project 529 bicycle registration system, contribute towards bicycle program on-campus and administrative costs. Learn the benefits of registering your bicycle with the University’s Project 529 National Bike Registration system. The University Bicycle Ordinance states that the minimum fine for not registering is $25.
How to Register your bicycle
Step – 1: Pay the one-time bicycle registration fee here – Bicycle Registration Fee form
- Provide your contact information, including your email, phone number, and how you are affiliated with the University.
- Use your credit/debit card to pay the one-time $10 bicycle registration fee.
- Save the Confirmation email for your record. You will need this Confirmation number when you go to collect the Shield.
- Use the link provided at the bottom of the Payment Confirmation page to proceed to registering your bicycle.
Step – 2: Proceed to register your bicycle on the Project 529 Garage website
- Enter your contact information on the Project 529 Garage registration form. You are encouraged to enter your personal email, so that even if/when you leave the university, your registration remains active.
- Provide your bicycle information on this page, including your bicycle’s serial number, manufacturer, model, frame color, etc.
- Find your bicycle’s serial number using the information on Project 529’s website: Locate Your Bicycle’s Serial Number
- It is critical that you input the serial number accurately.
- Select one of the Shield pick up locations from the drop-down menu.
- Leave the “529 Shield” field blank, you will fill this field after you collect the 529 Shield from your chosen location.
- Click on the “Register your Bike”.
- Download 529 Garage app on your Android or iPhone and use your profile information to login to the app.
- This will allow you to receive notifications, such as theft recovery message, if you bike has to be moved, etc.
Step – 3: Collect your 529 Shield and install it on the frame of your bicycle
- You must bring a printed or electronic copy of your Payment Confirmation email along with a Government-issued or University-issued ID card to your selected Shield pick-up location.
- Staff at the Shield pick-up location will confirm the payment and your identity, and provide you with a 529 Shield.
- 529 Shields are tamper-resistant registration stickers with unique IDs. You must attach it on your bicycle’s frame at an easily accessible and visible location.
- Login to the Project 529 Garage website or app, and complete your registration by entering the unique 529 Shield ID. We highly recommend you to add pictures of your bicycle and any other information to help the authorities to find your bicycle in case of theft.
- If you do not see the option to select where to collect your 529 Shield, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible.
Reporting bike theft
In case of bicycle theft, you must call or email the University of Illinois Police Department at (217) 333-1216 or Urbana Police Department at (217) 384-2320 or Champaign Police Department at (217) 351-4545 to report the stolen bicycle. You should also mark your bicycle as stolen in your 529 Garage bicycle profile. It is essential to notify the police department of the theft, and provide information such as when and where the bike was stolen, Shield ID, Serial Number, make/model, color, etc.
Other ways to register
- Go to the Project 529 Garage website or download the 529 Garage application for your Android or iPhone to register your bicycle for free.
- The free bicycle registration does not include a 529 Shield, and your bicycle is not as well protected without the tamper-resistant and theft deterring 529 Shield.
- Without a 529 Shield, the University or outside authorities will not be able to recover and return your bicycle easily.
- You are not linked to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign when to create a free registration with Project 529.
- If you already have a Shield from before, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a dockless bike sharing company, contact F&S directly.
How to find your serial number
The majority of serial numbers are located under the bottom bracket where the two pedal cranks meet. Simply turn your bike upside down and record the number. If the serial number is not there, then check places like the headset at the front of the bike or the rear stays. Find your bicycle’s serial number using the information on Project 529’s website: Locate Your Bicycle’s Serial Number.
Shield pick-up locations:
- Campus Bike Center: 51 E Gregory Dr., Champaign, IL 61820. Phone: 217-300-4638 – Open! Call before or make an appointment.
- University of Illinois Public Safety: 1110 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL 61801. Phone: (217) 333-1216 – Open!
- EnterpriseWorks at Research Park: 60 Hazelwood Drive, Champaign, IL 61820. Phone: 217-333-8324. – Open! Monday – Friday from 10 am to 2 pm.
- Campus Wellbeing Services – Currently closed
- Savoy Rec Center: 402 Graham Dr, Savoy, IL 61874. Phone: (217) 359-3550 – Open!
- Leonhard Recreation Center: 2307 Sangamon Dr, Champaign, IL 61821. Phone: (217) 398-2550. – Open!
- Illinois Terminal: 45 E University Ave, Champaign, IL 61820 . Phone: 217-384-3577. – Open!
- The Urbana Free Library: 210 West Green Street, Urbana, IL 61801. Phone: 217-367-4057. – Open!
- Neutral Cycle: 624 S 5th St, Champaign, IL 61820. Phone: (312) 834-3560. – Open!